Sunday, April 27, 2014

I'm up for grabs!

I'm going to talk about a subject that's a bit taboo but I'm just gonna go for it anyway. I'm talking politics.

One of the big difference I found is that in Ireland people actually vote. In England there is a huge amount of apathy around elections especially local ones. However, for the first time probably since I turned 18, I feel that this election can't pass me by without my contribution. And why the change?...well because I feel it's the first time that the outcome could directly affect me.

I was introduced to one of the prospective candidates with the mention of my family connection as if to imply my vote was all bit cast. On the contrary, my vote is very much open. I would say my vote, my husbands and a few if my friends have no pre party allegances. And so the question I have for those that want my vote is simply 'What are you going to do for Belmullet?'

This beautiful remote community is bubbling under with potential. I believe what happens over the next few years could make the difference between thriving or simply surviving. Decisions made could put it at the forefront or leaving it so far behind it can never catch up.

Fibre optics, tourism and supporting business are the things that will generate jobs, bring families home and set it up for a bright future.

Sometimes I feel like we've been here only a few minutes but its enough time to really care about what happens where we llive and try and make a difference in my own small way. 

So my vote is up for grabs and it will go to......

No comments:

Post a Comment