Sunday, February 23, 2014

Learn something new everyday

Well we are very lucky to be in beautiful Bali. I've been looking forward to coming to do a course in wood carving since we booked it. Not something I've tried before but the area is famous for it so you've got to really!

I always forget how enjoyable it is to learn something new. I had so much fun despite the sore back and aching hips from sitting on the floor so long day after day. The start of something brings back a special passion that you don't get once you are more accomplished. It's like being a child in a sweet shop, the excitement of trying something you've never done before. 

Now that I'm finished I have such a feeling of accomplishment. I'm very proud of what I've made but you'll have to wait a little while to see it - I've decided to give it as a present to someone. 

Like always, learning something new gives me a bit more focus. I know that must sound odd but when its new and challenging I want to practice and so I reassess (cut down on telly time), juggle and finish the housework a bit quicker to make space for it. It gets me motivated to use my time more wisely to be able to do something I enjoy. 

I took great pleasure in talking with Kadek, our teacher, finding all about life in a village in Bali and sharing stories with the Australians along side us. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't easy but over time I got to learn some techniques, work out the right tools and suddenly the impossible became possible. That was a nice little reminder to myself just what I can achieve. 

I feel like I've worked out some new craft muscles I haven't tried before and my body, mind and spirit feel invigorated. It's never good to get stuck in the same old routine and as Kadek said, 'we see this as meditation'. 

And as the old expression goes ' you never know what you can do until you try.' !






No comments:

Post a Comment