Monday, February 10, 2014

Mindfulness in the Mayhem

Well it was a tough one last week. My laptop went into melt down on Monday evening. I promptly followed it Tuesday evening having spent the whole day trying to fix it instead of going to Dublin as planned. That got rearranged to Thursday but come 7am I was about to set off and noticed I had a flat tyre. I finally got going about 9.45 by which time I'm usually well past Longford. Just to add to the mayhem I still have no Internet in the shop despite sitting on the mast (it's in the back yard!).
Not major problems to some but with my in-laws coming tomorrow I wanted to have a stab at pretending I was a domestic goddess and things were under control. Thats now not going to happen and so my stress levels have been abnormally high!
Then Saturday came and for the first time all week I relaxed. I had a giggle trying to teach the kids club to knit, had a cup of tea with Brendan delivering his beautiful work and sat while someone did a decoupage session in the open studio. 
But it was in that half hour before the kids arrived that I sat knitting that turned my week around. I was watching my fingers and listening to the clink of the needles. Not thinking about the broken laptop or stressing about the in-laws coming just knitting.
It wasn't until the end of the day when I was moving the shop round ( yes again) and I read Be's poster from Mindful Productivity that I realised. It's just about being in the moment. I read somewhere that people who are sad live in the past, people who are anxious live in the future and people who are peaceful live in the moment. Whatever it is....knitting, sewing, decoupage, crafting is escapism. The brain stops thinking about all the other stuff and you live in the moment. And it's incredibly relaxing and very peaceful.
So if you are after a bit of relaxation or stress relief I can highly recommend it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment