Sunday, February 2, 2014

Showcase

Two weeks ago I was up in the fair city and was at the RDS for Showcase. I had done lots of prep before looking at the suppliers on-line because with over 400 stands there I wasn't going to get round them all in a day. As it turned out I had a bit of car trouble and was there longer than I expected and was secretly quite pleased to get some extra time at the show.

I went last year before the business opened and I had the same feeling. It's a kind of awe and curiosity. It's amazing that so many products are made in Ireland, so many irish companies and jobs. It's also encouraging to think that all these companies here started off like me, taking what seemed like a giant step to starting your own business. And I suppose all this wonderful 'stuff' is one of the reasons that I started the shop. To 'showcase' what people can make and offer something other than made in China. 

It's no secret round town that I come from a family of shopkeepers. I used to have a cupboard under the stairs in my old house full of shoes and would joke with my dad that it's his fault, it's in my blood. My granddad made shoes and I am intrigued by anyone who makes things. I guess in my own way I went into the family trade and spent more years that I'd like to admit working in Boots. I started in the safe, calm environment of the Head Office on my parents doorstep but it wasn't too long before I traded that for the long hours, hard work and stress of a Store Manager - and I loved it. 

However, after a while the restraints of a big company telling you what to do stifled my creative flare and you start to feel rebellious. My outlet became the night classes in sewing, pottery and French among other things. Soon I was doing my own thing, making stuff on my small pink sewing machine. 

My move to Belmullet gave me a bit more time to be creative and to fulfil the long standing dream of having my own business. The added bonus of this job is the people I meet. There are so many lovely people who inspire me. And so many who humble me and make me feel like I'm their most valued customer and are genuinely interested in helping my business succeed. 

And of course the amazing products that I find and I found some great gems at Showcase made in Ireland by these wonderful people. I love it when my customers come into the shop and are delighted at what they find. The orders that I made at Showcase are going to start arriving this week and I'm looking forward to sharing them with you. I see lots of things I love but I always decide by trying to put myself in my customers shoes and think would she like it and it's always nice to know when I get it right.  So I hope you'll all let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment